Re: integrating dpkg and system calls

On Sun, May 16, 1999 at 09:41:03PM -0400, Max Eskin wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm working on a project (check out http://members.xoom.com/kurtkilg)
> which involves making an easy-to-use Linux distribution. I was thinking
> about integrating dpkg and the system calls, so that an attempt to modify
> a file would first be checked in the database to make sure that no
> programs will be disturbed. If they will be, it would return an error, and
> the application would print out a warning. e.g.:
>
> ~# rm /bin/bash
> Removing /bin/bash would break the following packages:
> 	bash
> 	system
> Do you wish to go ahead and remove it (y/n)?y
> ~# _
>
> What do you think?

I think you should not make something dpkg specific in the kernel (or
glibc) since it breaks expected behavior across distributions (as if
that isn't a big enough problem already). Plus it's a huge overhead
(imagine rm -rf on a 1000 file directory), plus it could be easily done
with a default alias in root's profile (that way the after they get
used to using linux/foodist, then they could remove it).

Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>                        Debian GNU/Linux
OpenLDAP Dev - bcollins@openldap.org     The Choice of the GNU Generation