Re: Dpkg fails to install certain packages

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Joey Hess writes ("Re: Dpkg fails to install certain packages"):
> > I doubt this is a dpkg bug, it looks like the files you downloaded are
> > corrupted, either on the mirror you got them from, or were corrupted during
> > download.
>
> No, this is the SIGPIPE set to SIG_IGN bug.  It is not a bug in dpkg.
> How was dpkg invoked ?

It transpires that this is neither an eterm bug, nor a dpkg bug.

In fact the bug lies (for me) in gnome-session, and manifests in any
terminal I launch from the panel.  Terminals launched directly from my
window manager (enlightenment) don't manifest this problem - which
suggests that enlightenment plays with SIGPIPE anyway.

I have confirm that SIGPIPE is set to SIG_IGN on any child of
gnome-session, and is SIG_DFL at the beginning of the execution of
.xsession - which points, for me, firmly at gnome-session.

I'm unpacking gnome-core source, and I'll try to find a patch.  It's
unlikely that I'll be able to compile and test here - I don't have the
disk space.  However, I will forward the patch to the BTS, as a bug in
gnome-core.

Jake, just to be sure, are you also using gnome-session?

Jules