Re: Release Time

>Apparently, you need to have a .deb in the tree as well to satisfy the
>check_binary () function in /usr/lib/dpkg/methods/disk/setup.  The .deb
>can be an empty file.

When I first tried this, I just created an empty file called "dummy.deb".
When selecting location of packages, etc. in dselect, this satisfied the
check_binary() search; however, then during the actual install step, there
were complaints and "errors" reported because of the invalid file found -
dummy.deb  Interestingly enough, this file should have been skipped or
ignored completely because it hadn't been selected and didn't appear in a
Packages.gz file anywhere.... but....  I solved this by putting a small,
actual .deb file into the directory alongside the Packages.gz file.  I
didn't try an empty version with a real filename from the Packages file,
though.

>> With this method, I was hoping that dselect would allow me to select all
>> the packages I wanted (even though they didn't actually exist on the
>> CD) and then let me install by going through and doing all the main
>> stuff and just skipping all the missing contrib and non-free packages.
>> But, it didn't quite work out as planned.
>
>I'd like to hear from Kevin what went wrong.  Did it effectively not work
>or was there just some amount of annoyance in working around broken
>defaults?

I'm going to try to get another CD set written today using the latest mirror
of D2.  I'll let everyone know how it goes and what "challenges" I
encounter.

Regards,
Kevin Traas