Porting dpkg to UltraSPARC

I have been trying to build dpkg on an UltraSparc and the job is getting
nowhere.

The machine in question is running Penguin UltraLinux from RH, and has
been a royal pain in the rear.

First: the sparc non-debian tarball is of no value whatsoever. The dpkg
present in this package is dynamically linked against our libc6, which can
not be found on the Ultra. If I knew what I was doing, I suppose I could
create a link to satisfy the need, but I don't have root privilege on the
target machine and must work through an intermediary.

Second, when I try to build dpkg from source I get nothing but missing
this and missing that. Turns out gettext from RH has no gettextize script
present. This was the last gotcha I resolved by getting our gettextize
installed on the target machine. Now the problems seem to be broadening
rather than narrowing. The following is the output of a 'debian/rules
build':

test -f include/dpkg.h.in
rm -f config.status
aclocal -I ./automake
autoheader
configure.in:119: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
autoconf
configure.in:119: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
configure.in:120: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
configure.in:121: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
gettextize --force
/usr/bin/gettextize: cd: intl: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/gettextize: cd: ../po: No such file or directory
You should update your own `aclocal.m4' by adding the necessary
macro packages gettext.m4, lcmessage.m4 and progtest.m4 from
the directory `/aclocal'
libtoolize --automake --copy --force
rm -f config.sub config.guess
ln -s /usr/share/automake/config.sub .
automake --add-missing
automake: configure.in: required file "./install-sh" not found; installing
automake: configure.in: required file "./mkinstalldirs" not found; installing
automake: configure.in: required file "./missing" not found; installing
configure.in: 112: required file "./config.guess" not found; installing
configure.in: 93: required file "./ABOUT-NLS" not found
automake: dselect/Makefile.am: C++ source seen but `CXX' not defined in `configure.in'
scripts/Makefile.am:660: required file "scripts/elisp-comp" not found; installing
make: *** [Makefile.in] Error 1

Taken from the above, the following cause concern:

1
/usr/bin/gettextize: cd: intl: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/gettextize: cd: ../po: No such file or directory

I assume that these directories are to be found within the source tree?
How come they aren't there. Is there a list of these items somewhere so I
can be assured of having them all?

2
You should update your own `aclocal.m4' by adding the necessary
macro packages gettext.m4, lcmessage.m4 and progtest.m4 from
the directory `/aclocal'

"My" aclocal.m4? Are we talking about the account running the build?
Where exactly, are these particular files to be placed? I assume I should
get these from a Debian system instead of trying to use those found on the
target machine?

3
configure.in: 93: required file "./ABOUT-NLS" not found
automake: dselect/Makefile.am: C++ source seen but `CXX' not defined in
`config$scripts/Makefile.am:660: required file "scripts/elisp-comp" not
found; installi
$make: *** [Makefile.in] Error 1

I'm not clear on why these aren't installed and where they are being
installed from, but it seems that ABOUT-NLS was not found and not
installed. It isn't clear what this has to do with the next message.

4
Is there some kind of requirements documentation that I could read that
would help here? This seems a lot more pain to build than should be
expected under these circumstances.

Any help or suggestions will be greatfully accepted.

Waiting is,

Dwarf