Building dpkg on alpha (faure)

I'm having problems with dpkg on a fresh alpha install.  It complains
about fchown on a symlink.  So, I want to build a version of dpkg on
faure that I can use to boostrap my alpha.  Faure won't perform

  debian/rules binary

because of something missing when I run aclocal:

  elf@faure ~/dpkg/dpkg-1.4.0.31 > ./debian/rules binary
  test -f include/dpkg.h.in
  rm -f config.status
  aclocal -I ./automake
  aclocal: configure.in: 93: macro `AM_GNU_GETTEXT' not found in library
  make: *** [Makefile.in] Error 1

So, are you the folks who built dpkg for alpha?  Is there a reason you
don't ship a configure script with dpkg?  I was under the impression
that this was standard procedure since autoconf and their kin aren't
on all of the target machines.

Thanks.