Re: NMU dpkg series - urgh !

On Sat, 7 Nov 1998, Tom Lees wrote:

> > I would throw away automake and libtool. Tom also cursed me with the same
> > system that he put on dpkg and I must say it's the most painfull
> > experience.. Automake is just a pathetic tool, I can't belive so many
> > people use it and even like it!
>
> Well, I agree that it is now unmanageable. automake+libtool do have
> some relevance to porting, but its probably better to cook up your own
> system. automake can be useful (especially for real GNU projects, I
> think), but in the case of dpkg, it was probably a mistake. For me, it
> was just a hacking exercise - feel free to get rid of it.

You should take alook at my latest make system, it does everything I want
at least. The only limitation is that is is gnu make specific.

If you read around you will find that 90% of the people who try to port
dpkg complain about the make system.

> a) The speed impact is too great
> b) There are better similar tools available

I don't know, I looked around alot for other tools and I didn't find
anything that was significantly different. It was all write your makefiles
in a meta language and convert to make and hope for the best :<

> libtool doesn't seem to be being maintained enough to offer useful
> features to us at the moment either.

Libtools big problem is that it is SO SLOW and it lakes a number of rather
important features. I can see how it would be usefull but I tend to belive
it is solving the wrong problem.

Jason