Re: NMU dpkg series - urgh !

On Sun, 1 Nov 1998, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Unfortunately I suppose people will complain at me too much if I do
> this and drop some of the changes, eg the i18n support (which has a
> good reason for being there).  But I am seriously tempted to throw
> away automake and perhaps libtool too.

I would throw away automake and libtool. Tom also cursed me with the same
system that he put on dpkg and I must say it's the most painfull
experience.. Automake is just a pathetic tool, I can't belive so many
people use it and even like it!

Recently I got sufficiently annoyed and striped all of it and rewrote all
the make stuff in plain jane gmake - the total size of all the new make
files is about -HALF- of ONE of the automake generated makefiles. Go
figure.

On a 486 you'll find that by throwing away libtool + automake you will get
about a 1.5 - 2 times speed increase in compile times. Also don't forget
to run configure with --disable-static, that alone will drop half the
build time!

Gettext also seems to be in some sort of flux and has problems of it's own
:<

Personally I would just drop all the crap you don't like, you'll end up
being more productive in the long run.

Jason