How to "selectively" install packages..

Greetings Folks,
	I would like to selectively install "debian" packages.
	What I mean is :

	I have loaded the X11R6 by hand i.e. "manual" without
	debian/dselect. Now I want to say add "fvwm" since
	it depends on the X11R6 libraries, which I have already
	installed manually. But of course the debian system is
	completely unaware of it, so it refuses to install "fvwm".
	How is it possible to inform the debian system that the
	X11R6 package is already installed (although manually)
	so that I can install "fvwm".

	As someone done this? I am using Debian V2.0.

	Thanks
	Mohan