Re: multiple arch support for dpkg

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Joey Hess wrote:

> I think we need to extend dpkg's concept of architectures.

Agreed.

I agree with the substance of Joey's proposal.

However, he suggests a file called /etc/dpkg/architectures which the user
modifies by commenting out the current line and uncommenting out the on he
wants.  E.g:

The default is:

i386:i386 all
# uncomment below for pentium
#i386: pentium i386 all

I suggest, instead, that there be a file /usr/lib/dpkg/architectures which
looks like this:

pentium:pentium i386 all
i386:i386 all

This is not modified by the user.  Instead, the user simply sets
/etc/dpkg/architecture to simply 'pentium' or 'i386'.  In this way,
the developers, not the users are responsible for working out which arch's
go together.  All the user has to do is choose one.

Secondly, (although this is not very important) I would suggest that it is
more appropriate for apt to access the architecture list by using libdpkg
or by a dpkg flag 'dpkg --print-all-architectures' rather than directly
accessing files under /etc/dpkg.

Jules