Re: Apologize

On Sat, Jul 18, 1998 at 11:10:45AM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
> > At least I have learned why so few people are able to hack dpkg succesfull.
> > The code is not a mess, but quite complicated :)

> I'd like to see dpkg replaced with a program which did nothing but parse
> dpkg's complicated command line language and farmed out the appropriate
> actions to a suite of package management programs.  But before we can do
> that, we need a proper analysis of the database and system requirements
> which dpkg represents.

This sounds like a good idea.

Btw, where I'm here at the dpkg list:

The next time somebody hacks the --print-architecture routine, he should add
support for the Hurd architecture. Or does every port hack it's own dpkg?

If somebody is interested, dpkg-1.4.1.4 seems to be broken, you probably
already know that. I can provide further information, but a good starter is
to try dpkg-deb with -c or -I option. It returns error code 1 even when
operating successful (and does not call cu_init_prepare, but cu_m_fork
dorectly, which is why the temp. directory will not be cleaned.)

Thank you,
Marcus