Re: dpkg speed (was: Re: PROPOSAL: Extrafiles)

If anyone actually does start working on a textfiles->binary database
solution, which could automatically, say, determine when the binary
database needed to be re-written, and could automatically recover from
a corrupted or missing database (of course!), please let me know.

I'm the doc-base maintainer, and we're expecting to need to construct
a database out of a slew of little 'docreg' files (little control
files holding document metadata).

I know Marco Budde, the maintainer of of dhelp, has already
implemented something that's really close.  Marco, wanna step up to
the plate and develop a generic solution that could work for dpkg on
the *.list files and for doc-base?  I.e., given a parsing system to
parse the files (hopefully pluggable), it should construct an indexed
fast lookup database.