non-timely dpkg question

I should figure this out for myself, but I'm too lazy:

Where in dpkg does the second 'calls' field in 'struct cleanupentry'
ever get used?  So far as I can tell, all of the functions which call
push_cleanup pass 'NULL' for call2 and '0' for mask2.

If the second field does in fact never get used, what is the purpose
of push_checkpoint()?  It would seem from the implementation of
pop_cleanup that the cpmask and cpvalue only get applied to the
seconde 'calls' field.  Or should I assume this was a bug in the
implementation of checkpointing and the mask was inteded to apply to
all previous cleanups?

Thanks,
 - Klee