Re: dpkg upgrade/downgrade dependency problem

On 12 Apr 1998, Adam P. Harris wrote:

> Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> writes:
> > On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Juan Cespedes wrote:
> > If I read the bug reports correctly, dpkg allows you to configure things
> > when other packages dependencies on those things is unmet.. Which means it
> > does not inspect reverse dependancies and reverse provide dependancies.
>
> My reading was different.  As I understood it, Pre-depends were not be
> respected in the reverse direction, i.e., dpkg allowed you to remove a
> package 'foo' v1.1, or maybe just downgrade it to 1.0, even if package
> 'bar' *pre-depended* on >= 1.1.  (Or maybe we're saying the same
> thing, Jason, I'm not sure.)

In my above pargraph consider 'dependencies' to be the general group of
Depends:, Pre-Depends: and Conflicts:

A Pre-Depends has no special meaning once a package has been configured,
the problem is that dpkg allows you to downgrade or upgrade a package in
such a way that other packages dependencies break.

Juan, if you have some time I have a wonderfull idea for a much better
interface to dpkg that would allow me to write some really nice error
handling code.

My experiance has been that dpkg is pretty thourough in handling the
remove case.

Jason