Re: info2www and/or encourage more html documentation

Hi Diane,

On Sun, Mar 13, 2022 at 02:24:37PM -0700, Diane Trout wrote:

> I noticed info2www fell out of testing a while back, but has been
> abandoned upstream and doesn't look maintained in Debian.
>
> Do people think it's worth trying to keep it alive?
>
> I was willing to salvage it and update the packaging to current
> standards, though I'm not sure how well I could fix a security issue in
> a perl cgi script if someone finds something still wrong in a 14 year
> program.
>
> I asked a bit on #debian-devel in irc and seemed like keeping an old
> cgi script running is perhaps questionable, and that perhaps packages
> that currently only ship info docs should also ship html documentation.
>
> For what it's worth generating html documentation directly from the
> texinfo source with texi2any --html does make nicer documentation than
> is possible with info2www.
>
> I thought it worth asking the doc team what you all thought.

I feel info2www served it's purpose back in the days, these days people should
use a better alternative like texi2any --html.  I agree it'd be nice if
packages that currently only ship info docs would also ship html.

My € 0,02.

Thanks for raising this subject here, Bye,

Joost