Re: Binary compatibility and Debian updates

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 16, 2019 at 11:54:52AM -0700, Jakob Leben wrote:
> Hi Osamu,
>
> Thank you for your response.
>
> In the documents that you linked, I can only find information about the
> requirement that backwards-incompatible ABI changes require changing the SONAME
> of a library. However, I have not found explicit information stating that
> security updates and Debian point releases do not allow libraries to change
> their SONAME (and hence introduce backwards incompatible changes).

I don't think you read every details of all the documentation and you
want quick answer ...
>       https://www.debian.org/doc/

You need to learn how to get information by yourself

Check google with keywords like
"debian testing library transition"
"debian security update policy"

> Moreover, the scenario I described requires that there be no ABI changes at all
> (not just backwards incompatible ones): if a Debian point release introduces a
> new symbol in a library, I may inadvertently link to that symbol, even though
> my client's embedded machine with an older point release does not have that
> symbol.

Yah ...