Re: where could I point to documentation about packaging leaf packages when trying to get a new package into Debian ?

Reply in-line :-

On 10/09/2018, Joost van Baal-Ilić <joostvb@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi Shirish  शिरीष

Hi Joost,

> On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 02:41:12PM +0530, shirish शिरीष wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Do we have some documentation or a diagram which explains how
>> packaging leaf packages makes it easier for a new biggish package to
>> enter into Debian ?
>>
>> I tried quite a few times yesterday and even today to find not overly
>> technical document which talks on this topic and failed.
>>
>> Could somebody point me to the right direction please ?
>
> I guess you'd either have to find a document explaining what a dependency
> is
> (and/or a build-time dependency), or, alternatively, tell which software
> you're dealing with & explain what it exactly means for this specific
> software.
>
> I tried to find a introductory text explaining dependencies, but failed :(
> I'm sure there is one online, somewhere.

There is a simulation game called mars-sim or mars simulation .

https://github.com/mars-sim/mars-sim/

The basic hypothesis of the game is either the State, Governments or
whoever sends a team to Mars to make a settlement there.

I have been engaging with upstream

https://github.com/mars-sim/mars-sim/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue+author%3Ashirishag75

to figure out various issues so it could be packaged and also make it
easier. Upstream so far, has been pretty positive about the whole
thing.

Now there are two different broad issues I am facing there in -

a. The graphical port they were using before was Oracle Java which
after my attempts has been tuned to be compiled under openjdk 9 and
later. I am hoping that openjdk 12 and openjfx 12 which are supposed
to come by the end of the month gets in Debian fast, even if it's
experimental so have something to test against. It uses openjdk and
openjfx for the graphical UI among other things, but this is something
I/we cannot plan for . I have already asked for a console version in
the mean-time so people could use it instead of having to wait for
things to settle down in the openjdk world (and debian thereafter.)

b. More sort of damaging though is that it uses maven and has 8-9
different pom.xml under various modules -

>From ~/games/mars-sim$ cat pom.xml | more

... After a few lines -

<modules>
		<!--module>mars-sim-android</module -->
		<module>mars-sim-core</module>
		<module>mars-sim-headless</module>
		<module>mars-sim-main</module>
		<module>mars-sim-mapdata</module>
		<module>mars-sim-network</module>
		<!--module>mars-sim-service</module -->
		<module>mars-sim-ui</module>
	</modules>

Each pom.xml has these artifactId which are dependencies which may or
may not be in Debian.

If we could find both run-time and build-time leaf dependencies of the
game which may have value of being in Debian or if something is not
being developed or maintained anymore and we could suggest better
alternatives it would be nice.

I did a poor job but did try to bring attention to
https://github.com/mars-sim/mars-sim/issues/78 , maybe there is a
better way ?

I have also shared the Upstream Guide
https://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamGuide but finding a way out I don't