Re: wishing minimal doc criteria for debian packages

Hi c.buhtz,

Thanks for your post on the list!

On Fri, Aug 04, 2017 at 01:58:02PM +0200, c.buhtz@posteo.jp wrote:
> Does no one want to comment this?
>
> On 2017-07-23 10:16 <c.buhtz@posteo.jp> wrote:
> > I am not sure if this list is the right one for this discussion.
> > Please point me to the correct one.
> >
> > I am new to the development environment in Debian. I sometimes ran
> > into inconvenience when I try to contribute to a package/project. And
> > I realize that "Debian" hasn't such high quality criteria as I
> > thought.
> >
> > A package should have this minimal informations
> >  - link/info about the related upstream project (website)

There is infrastructure in Debian packaging for this; the Homepage field.

> >  - this should appear in the package source

It does.

> >    (e.g. README file)

Rather not: that would no longer make it machine-parsable.

> >  and in the Debian package Tracker

It does, see e.g. the "homepage" link at the right side of
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/systraq .

> > This isn't much, isn't it? For some problems this is essential to
> > contribute to a package. E.g. I need upstream to check if a problem is
> > reported or fixed their. But sometimes this info is missing.

If you find a package which does not supply a Homepage field, please do
submit a bug for that package.

> > And I
> > don't want to waste the maintainers time and ressources to ask such
> > simple questions: "Who is upstream?"

Indeed, better to find out for yourself and stick that info in the bugreport.

> > A nice to have (for me a must have) would be that upstream have to
> > provide a manpage.

Yup, we agree.  "Each program, utility, and function should have an associated
manual page included in the same package."
https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs.html#s12.1 .  If a manpage is
lacking, please report that as a bug.

> > It should be up to the Debian staff to do the
> > documentation for upstream!

Did you forget a "not" here?

> > There is enough other more important work
> > for Debian staff.
> >
> > What do you think?

One of the reasons I didn't reply earlier is the tone of your message.  You
write "Debian should do this and that", while you didn't show you did some
research to find the answers to your questions yourself.  That did not motivate
me.

Anyway, thanks for your post!

Bye,

Joost

--
rorate caeli desuper et nubes pluant justum --Isa 45:8