Re: manpages.debian.org has been modernized!

Michael Stapelberg writes ("manpages.debian.org has been modernized!"):
> https://manpages.debian.org has been modernized!

Awesome!  Thanks to everyone.

> https://github.com/Debian/debiman. In case you would like to use it to
> run a similar manpage repository (or convert your existing manpage
> repository to it), we’d love to help you out; just send an email to
> stapelberg AT debian DOT org.

As you might expect, I'm uncomfortable about the use of the
proprietary github service for this.  I realise that we don't
necessarily have entirely comparable alternatives, but Free Software
needs free tools.[1]

Also, I think the exact running version of Debian services should be
publicly available.  And, unless this is made so easy that the service
operators don't have to think about it, it will always fall behind.
So I think this should be done automatically.

Would you accept a patch to make debiman copy its own source code,
including git history, to its output ?  Then there could be a `source
code for this manpage generator' link on each page, or maybe in the
information page.  I have done this for a few programs I have written
and it's surprisingly easy.  When it's done, you will always be
publishing your own up to date source code.

Speaking of the information page, if you click on the info links you
get this
  https://manpages.debian.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=info.html
which seems out of date.

> We’d love to hear your feedback and thoughts. Either contact us via an
> issue on https://github.com/Debian/debiman/issues/, or send an email
> to the debian-doc mailing list (see
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-doc/).

If we created a pseudopackage in the Debian bug system, would you use
it instead ?  It's one thing to use github as a generic git hosting
server but I really don't want us to be constructing our issue tracker
data in github's databases.

Regards,
Ian.

[1] https://mako.cc/writing/hill-free_tools.html