How to edit debiandoc in emacs with nxml

I have a tool chain working in Jessie (i686) using emacs 24.4.1 and nXML that nicely creates DocBook 4.5 xml documents.

Now I would like to return to my first love, debiandoc, and do likewise. Has anyone hints on how to achieve this? I don't seem to be able to get the schema set correctly, if that's even possible with debiandoc, which I know is SGML.

NB. Are debs of older emacs available? Unfortunately emacs 24 broke one of my favorite tools, which served me enormously well for years: the psgmlx package (not a Debian package ever afaik).

All best,

--
IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual
addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is