Bug#769388: 'PermitRootLogin without-password' in new installations breaks some use cases
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cc: Simon McVittie <email@example.com>, Michael Gilbert <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Bug#769388: 'PermitRootLogin without-password' in new installations breaks some use cases
- From: Niels Thykier <email@example.com>
- Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 08:30:33 +0100
- Message-id: <[🔎] 54BCB299.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: Niels Thykier <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org
- In-reply-to: <54BC266F.email@example.com>
- References: <1411826799.756399.172393089.4C63DF8E@webmail.messagingengine.com> <CALDDTe2zALR-hyxzVxQ7qA_aHujz0wDr1PmZNBZJb3Knu5e=8A@mail.gmail.com> <20131017205615.15469.57420.reportbug@nl-01> <20141108223417.GA5963@reptile.pseudorandom.co.uk> <20141113091942.GA30028@reptile.pseudorandom.co.uk> <20141113110845.GA32359@reptile.pseudorandom.co.uk> <CANTw=MPj=KqPPbPdJZqkM+DxS+KHZvnRpE5gnfFh2Eau2mOBQw@mail.gmail.com> <54BC266F.firstname.lastname@example.org> <54BC266F.email@example.com>
Control: tags 769388 moreinfo
On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 21:32:31 +0000 Simon McVittie <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> Control: reassign 769388 release-notes
> Control: severity 769388 normal
> On 18/01/15 19:38, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> > Isn't this also a documentation issue? A section could be added to
> > the release notes on how to preseed a user for this type of
> > installation use case?
> Yes, I think so. #726661 is a technical issue, not a documentation issue
> like #769388, but they were initially treated as a single bug because
> the symptom described in the original title ("Does not permit login as
> root") could be caused by either.
> > Anyway, I think both problems can be solved with more information in
> > the release notes, so maybe reassign there?
> Makes sense to me.
I am a bit confused as to why you reassigned this to release-notes, when
the remaining issue seems to be related to the debian-installer (which
has its own documentation package called "installation-guide").
For the record, the /upgrade/ variant of this issue /is already/
documented in the release notes (and has been so for at least 2 weeks).
Did you mean to reassign this to the installation-guide?