Re: DFSG-free relicensing of the Debian logo(s)

[…]

 >> This means that, effectively, the “without Debian” logo will /still/
 >> be available under the old license just as well.

 > Yes, and there is nothing we can do about that, that is what free
 > stuff is about, after all, you can't take it back :-)

	That's the point.

 >> My only concern is that there'll be /both/ Web sites claiming that
 >> the “without Debian” logo is under the Expat license (consider,
 >> e. g., blog posts and the like) and the official page claiming that
 >> it's under LGPL/CC-BY-SA, leading to some confusion.

 >> Therefore, my suggestion would be to specify LGPL/CC-BY-SA for both
 >> of the logos on the logo page, but add a footnote saying that the
 >> “without Debian” logo could also be used under the terms of the
 >> (less restrictive) Expat license.

 > Well, one thing if there are places other than our own with de facto
 > old versions of the logo distributed under the old license.  That
 > might be confusing, but anyone would be able to go to the
 > authoritative source (www.debian.org) and be reassured about what the
 > current license is.

	Fair enough.  If there're plans to update the logo, the newer
	logo may indeed use a more restrictive license.  However, Debian
	was always good at keeping the older stuff around just in case
	(cf., e. g., http://snapshot.debian.org/), so I wonder if the
	logos page will still have the links to the older,
	Expat-licensed, versions of the logo.

 > Whereas adding the note you suggest will de facto correspond to keep
 > the old Expat license (because it's more permissive) for the old
 > logo, not helping in uniforming licenses of the two logos at all.

	I'm not quite sure that such uniformity is actually needed.
	(Though I may've missed some relevant earlier discussions.)

	One more alternative (of a kind) would be to make the “without
	Debian” logo available under the comparable CC BY license.  This
	way, both of the logos will be available under the licenses of
	the same CC family.

--
FSF associate member #7257	http://sf-day.org/