Re: How to update developers-reference (Re: [SRM] upload of debian-reference/2.46 to stable)

On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 10:33:22PM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Well, I just uploaded 2.46 to "stable" for debian-reference.  This seems to be
> gone into stable-updates per some information I got as mail from Debian FTP
> Masters as:
> | Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 20:04:20 +0000
> | From: Debian FTP Masters <ftpmaster@ftp-master.debian.org>
> | To: Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>
> | Subject: debian-reference_2.46_amd64.changes ACCEPTED into proposed-updates
> |
> | Notes:
> | Mapping stable to proposed-updates.
> |
> | Accepted:
> | debian-reference-common_2.46_all.deb
> |   to main/d/debian-reference/debian-reference-common_2.46_all.deb

You misread the mail.  It says (stable-)proposed-updates, not -updates.

> I also see Debian web pages:
> stable-updates          in http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=osamu@debian.org
>   (mouse over 2.46 on debian-reference line gives stable-updates)

It says proposed-updates.

> stable-proposed-updates in http://packages.qa.debian.org/d/debian-reference.html
>   (left side list s-p-u as 2.46)
>
> This is confusing.

No it's not.  You're ignoring the `proposed-' in the output and then conclude
it's something different.  I might go with the proposed- vs. stable-proposed-
being confused, and I don't really know where that's coming from.

> Question is what path package goes through and delay for each step.  Are
> stable-updates and stable-proposed-updates the same thing with different
> alias?

No, it's not.

> If I trust:
> http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/pkgs.html#upload-stable

devref doesn't know about stable-updates yet.

> "stable upload"
>  -> "proposed-updates-new queue"
>    -> "stable-proposed-updates"
>      -> (at next point release) stable
>
> But what has happened is
> "stable upload"
>  -> "??? queue"
>    -> "stable-updates"
>      -> (I expect at next point release) stable
>
> How do ypu explain this differences?

Nothing to explain as above.  Apart from that I refer to the announcement of
squeeze-updates and my last mail.

> > [*] Release files are indeed under "our" control, so checksum fixes
> >     wouldn't qualify per se (but there might be reasons to do them anyway).
> >     Protocol changes in proprietary messengers that require an update would
> >     qualify, though.
> I assume you are talking checksum format change of Release files which
> caused some archive tools to be broken.

True.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern