Re: Tweak required for release notes 'publishing' at www-master

On 7 February 2011 08:39, Javier Fernandez-Sanguino <jfs@debian.org> wrote:
> Maybe it's some kind of permissions issue? There was a manual run of
> the Release Notes build+publish target last Saturday to update the RN
> for the CDs/DVDs build, maybe that is the culprit?

Ok, found the issue. It's because of the change introduced in the
release-notes.ent [1] which added two "new" architectures to the list
('kfreebsd-amd64' and 'kfreebsd-i386') that the build started failing.
This change was introduced by tariff saturday afternoon. Since the
cron tasks for the website were stopped there was no regeneration of
content Saturday mornign and this change, as well as the change of
'testing' at www.debian.org broke the publication of the release
notes.

This is quite clear when you see this like in the build logs [2]:

(...)
cp -pr  statistics.html /srv/www.debian.org/www/releases/squeeze/; \
	echo "AddCharset UTF-8 .txt" >
/srv/www.debian.org/www/releases/squeeze/.htaccess; \
	for arch in kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386; do \
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	  make architecture=$arch; \
(...)

But the Makefile says:

(...)
arches := $(shell grep '<phrase arch=' $(CURDIR)/$(manual).ent \
		| sed 's/.* arch=.\([a-z0-9]*\).*/\1/' | sort -u)

(...)
publish: statistics.html
(...)
	$(install_file) statistics.html $(PUBLISHDIR)/; \
	echo "AddCharset UTF-8 .txt" > $(PUBLISHDIR)/.htaccess; \
	for arch in $(arches); do \
	  $(MAKE) architecture=$$arch; \

So $arches is not being properly expanded with the regular expression
(probably because of the '-' in the name of the kfreebsd arches. Since
the only change to the .ent file was the above I'm blaming the
addition of kfreebsd to the release notes build.

To confirm this, you can check the Releas Notes for kfreebsd at [3]
you will see that they have an earlier date than the other
architectures (I changed the 'published' entity throughout the
weekend) and the Spanish version [4] is fully up to date, whileas it
is not updated in the other architectures.

I really cannot understand that change introduced Saturday: the
Release Notes for the kFreeBSD "preview" have not been reviewed to
ensure that they do not have Linuxisms... they do have (actually quite
some). As Release Notes editor I would have voted against publishing
Release Notes for kFreeBSD at all.

Yay for changes in the middle of the release! <grumble>

The easy fix is remove them from the release-notes.ent file again. If
someone can do it throughout the day I would appreciate it (no commit
access until tonight). The proper fix probably comes by fixing the
arches extraction in the Makefile.

Let's see if I can introduce tonigh some sanity checks here and there
so that this does not happen in the future. Maybe by ensuring that
$arches is at least a "reasonable" number.

Best Regards

Javier

[1]  http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/ddp/manuals/trunk/release-notes/release-notes.ent?r1=8021&r2=8424
[2] http://www-master.debian.org/build-logs/webwml/release-notes.log