Re: Status of Squeeze Release Notes

Hello,

Am Dienstag, 22. Juni 2010 schrieb Simon Paillard:
> On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 10:56:10AM +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, 18. April 2010 schrieb Simon Paillard:
> > > On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 10:32:49AM +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> > > There is no version of release-notes dedicated to Squeeze yet.
> > >
> > > However, a feedback against the last version of Lenny releasenotes
> > > would be very useful.
> > > http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/releasenotes
> >
> > My upgrade was delayed. I am just wondering if that status (no squeeze
> > release-notes yet) is still correct and the lenny release notes are the
> > best documentation.
>
> The status is the same.
>
> Feedbacks against the current version of Lenny releasenotes are very
> useful, that you can bug report against 'release-notes' pseudopackage.
>
> To -release and -doc, I've been little available for Debian efforts
> in the past 2 months.
> Current status, todolist and tools prepared by Franklin and me are
> available from:
> http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseNotes
>
> To RN volunteers, please read that page and contact debian-doc.

I finally did the upgrade of an existing system at July 24th. It all went well,
be biggest issues I probably catched through dependencies of third party
packages. So going through the detailed upgrade log is probably not worth (but
I can share a script log of the upgrade if anybody is interested in that). I
did a bugreport agains the 'release-notes' pseudopackage with all the details:

Here are some aspects which I think are worthwhile to be mentioned in the
release notes:

* sysv-rc: dependency based boot process

This is a major change and everybody is affected. I think it would be good to
tell the users in the realease notes about it and describe how the upgrade
process works.

* grub2: chainloading/update-from-grub-legacy

This is also a major change and everybody is affected. Worked for me although I
had a minor isseue: I could not remember if my system is booting by default
from /dev/sda or /dev/sdb and I selected the wrong one. So I had to do some
bios changes to get the system booted again. It would have helped me if the
release notes would have told how to find out which is the current device which
the system boots from.

* Udev 151-2 upgrade problem

This one almost broke my system. Although I followed #15 in the bugreport, the
upgrade of the kernel upgrade and udev upgrade did not work, only udev was
upgraded (not sure why). The real bad thing was, that I did not notice that
something went wrong. I was lucky that I decided not to reboot right away, but
to continue the upgrade and found later the the linux-image did not upgrade.
Here a test if the upgrade worked would have been extremely helpful.

Thanks,
Rainer
--
Rainer Dorsch