Re: packaging guide for Debian-based distros

Hi,

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 11:42:59AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 02:39:50PM +0100, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > I thought it might be interesting to get feedback from the broader community
> > of Debian derivatives on this.
> <snip>
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > Jim Campbell put work into a survey about the Packaging Guide. If you've
> > used it and have comments, please check out his announcement [1] and the
> > survey [2].
> >
> > [0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide
> > [1] http://j1m.net/2010/07/13/updating-the-ubuntu-packaging-guide/
> > [2] http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dHZEVGFLNkROMnROQ2FBVUdjRGlTYnc6MA

Interesting...  But maintaining such huge Wiki pages needs enough
contributors which Debian does no have.

My observation is Ubuntu has enough people to update wiki pages detailing many
things...  Debian does not have luxury and left with empty documents.  DDP was
full of them when I joined. I cleaned them.  Here is another empty documents.
http://packaging-handbook.alioth.debian.org/

> I'm not familiar enough with the document to give feedback myself, but
> I'm adding in the loop the Debian documentation team, which might want
> to have a look.

I finally updated maint-guide recently and it is basically "Debian
packaging guide for simple packages."  Many advanced and detailed
documentation are done in developers-reference these days.
 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/index.en.html

So we lack in-between these and we also lack # of people.

We have 2 active DDP coordinator and 1 quiet one.

http://www.debian.org/intro/organization
Documentation -- <debian-doc@lists.debian.org>
     member Adam Di Carlo
     member Josip Rodin
     member Osamu Aoki
     member Javier Fernández-Sanguino

Josip is there but not-really active.  But I know he is there.
Adam should be removed there.  (I have not seen him at all last few years.
Javi and myself are only active.

> Still, at a first glance the guide looks very good, and it might be
> beneficial for Debian to advertise something similar. More generally, it
> would be nice to have a "Debian packaging guide" not in the sense of the
> sole Debian distribution, but in the sense of "how to package for any
> Debian-based distribution".

I added link from wiki page:
 http://wiki.debian.org/DebianPackaging

I may even put a pointer from maint-guidei, if Ubuntu site is updated
and written generically.

> So, here is the question for the Ubuntu folks: have you ever considered
> having a more general document in that direction, on which people from
> various derivatives can/should collaborate?

We need help from them ...

> For sure there will be some technical challenges to face, such as how to
> maintain properly distro-specific guidelines, preserving the benefits of
> having the guide delivered via a wiki page. Before going there however,
> I wanted to check whether there is interest in that direction.

I do not see technical challenges but see serious resource challenges.

Osamu