squeeze release-notes (was: Invite to join the Release Team)

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 07:19:19PM +0100, Simon Paillard wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 08:35:05AM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > On Wed, 17 Mar 2010, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
> > > The release notes need to be updated for squeeze and upgrade and
> > > installation tests on different configurations should be
> > > organized. It's a bit early to do it, as many components of
> > > squeeze are not done yet, but at least finding people who would be
> > > interested in working on this would be great.
[..]
> http://bugs.debian.org/release-notes
>
> What we've observed from lenny releease-notes that there were quite few
> reports from maintainers, so IMO we should remind them soon to
> report major changes in behaviour/config to RN (and NEWS.Debian).
>
> Getting and reading a lenny -> squeeze diff of all the NEWS.Debian would
> be a start (though it may be a too exhaustive method).

http://lintian.debian.org/~spaillard/lenny-squeeze-NEWS.diff/
(Not cronned, extracted from *source* packages from lintian laboratory
that match debian/*NEWS*)

That could be done per user basis *before* upgrade to squeeze, see
#419201 on packages.d.o to providing the NEWS file, #525803 on aptitude
to using it once available.

That will be processed again against binary files, since nothing ensures
the location or name of the NEWS file in the source packge.

-> Some of these NEWS file contents describe workarounds without
details/commands.

-> There are 423 such NEWS diffs, they need to be reviewed so that
only ( high popcon x impact ) are documented in RN.

Questions:
1/ In case someone noticed lacks in NEWS file, would the RT allow
migration to testing after freeze only for NEWS file update ?
2/ Is it acceptable to change NEWS log entry a posteriori ?
3/ Other comments ?

Regards.

--
Simon Paillard