Re: dhcp3-server-ldap ietf schema

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 10:59:48PM -0500, Pablo Canillas wrote:
> Hi Andrew, Eloy,
>
> I'm writing to you because you are listed as maintainers of dhcp3-
> server-ldap (3.1.1-6). I have a suggestion regarding the documentation
> of that package. You may have been asked this before, but have you
> considered adding the file draft-ietf-dhc-ldap-schema-01.txt? (here is
> a copy)
>
> I understand it never made it beyond the draft level, but it's
> referenced in /usr/share/doc/dhcp3-server-ldap/README.ldap.gz and
> beyond the example included, there isn't much documentation. The
> mappings between the LDAP entries and dhcp.conf are confusing,
> especially since that (now deleted) draft has been followed in the
> implementation, instead of dhcp.conf. Users who start from scratch
> (which in retrospect I'd now discourage) and do not have a dhcp.conf
> to use with /usr/share/doc/dhcp3-server-ldap/dhcpd-conf-to-ldap.pl.gz,
> will be greatly benefited. Hopefully an approved document will
> standardize DHCP on LDAP. Meanwhile, I believe it would be helpful to
> include that file; it was for me.

If I recall correctly, this used to be included in the source tarball
upstream, and we asked it to be removed, because it fell into the realms of
RFCs, which have questionable licenses on redistribution or something. Try a
Google search for RFC and Debian, I can't remember the background offhand.

I think there was also the argument that such things are generally fairly
available on the Internet, so there wasn't a lot of value in distributing
them excessively.

regards

Andrew