Re: release notes and msgid-previous (was: Re: (forw) Release update: deep freeze, planned dates, and remaining bugs

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 10:30:11AM +0100, W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> On 2009-02-05 03:32, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> > SGML tag --> Docbook-XML tag
> > True, some tags have attributes which change, but the global substitution is
> > doable for many of those.
>
> That's what I did, because I wasn't satisfied with the (two?)
> debiandoc2docbook tools we have in Debian. I used
> tags-query-replace in Emacs to do the change over all files in
> one directory at once.

That certainly works but why not request feature to the maintainer (me!)
with proper info.  At least, using debiandoc2docbook will auto create
missing closing tags for XML.

I thought I closed most of the requests. Well.... I read remaining
bugs... I may found the thing you are bothered.

I now think big deficit is missing comments:
http://bugs.debian.org/430603  For this, tags-query-replace wins!  This
is fundamental since these comments are dropped before parser sees them.
converting them before to some special tag may be a solution.  If this
is the problem and you think still worth fixing in squeeeze.  Bug me.

For now, I suggest to use global string change trick before and after
debiandoc2docbook conversion with "perl -i -p -e".  Something along...
 "<!-- " -> "@@@start-comment-start@@@"
 " -->"  -> "@@@end-comment-end@@@"

If you have some fancy tag withing comment, it fails but

Other problem are practicallt the same as you do with tags-query-replace.

> Important: XML is less lenient than SGML is some respects:
>
>  * Make sure to close all tags, such as <xref>
Yes!
>  * Test your document/translation with
>    make validate LINGUA=vi (or "es" or whatever)
Sure.
This is one you need tags-query-replace type action.

Osamu