Re: uw-imapd discontinued for squeeze?

Hi Nicolas (ans others),

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 11:09:03PM +0200, Nicolas François wrote:
Hello Jonas,

At some time, it was mentioned that uw-imapd would not be supported in
Squeeze.
(e.g. http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2009/01/msg00508.html)

I would like to confirm this with you before adding it to the release
notes.

Also, is there a plan for a transition or an IMAP server that we should
recommend as a replacement?

Not sure if I responded to above already (and if so I wonder if my opinion on the matter have skewed since then).

Parts of the uw-imap sources is still crucially needed: the libc-client library is used in several places including php5-imap, and should be used in even more places (alpine ships its own duplicate of that library which is a security issue).

I am still unsure if it makes best sense to drop the binary uw-imapd and ipopd server packages and only ship the library and utility packages, or keep all of them alive.

Nevertheless it makes very good sense to advertise uw-imap as discouraged and dovecot as the best replacement.

For those arguing that other IMAP implementations like Cyrus or Courier are "good enough", it might make sense to refer to this page: http://imapwiki.org/ImapTest/ServerStatus

Kind regards,

 - Jonas