Re: CfH: Some issues regarding the lenny release notes

W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I like to ask for opinions/help/contribution regarding the lenny
> release notes:
>
> 0. credits
> 1. too many bug reports open, missing tests, deadlines
> 2. hyphenation with dblatex
> 3. size of PDFs with xmlroff on etch
> 4. compilation time with dblatex on etch

> 1. Too many bug reports open, missing tests, deadlines

That's the reason why I got the last sentence(s) added to the latest
release update. Unfortunately I'm busy with other stuff...

> 3. Size of PDFs with xmlroff on etch
>
>    When you build the lenny release notes on etch, even with
>    the xmlroff backport from lenny, I got Huge PDFs for some
>    languages. I assume, that we need a backport of libcairo2 to
>    get reasonable sized PDFs or just build on a lenny machine.
>    The PDF for ml is 69× bigger when build on etch, zh_CN still
>    6.7× bigger! We need to fix this or change the Makefile:
>
>    -DISABLED_PDF=
>    +DISABLED_PDF=cs ja ml pl ro ru vi zh_CN zh_TW
>
>    Anybody up for libcairo2 backport to etch?

I uploaded a backport yesterday after coordination with the maintainers,
please check out if it's ok and we can ask to install it on www-master.

> 4. Compilation time with dblatex on etch
>
>    When you build the lenny release notes on etch, even with
>    the dblatex backport from lenny, I experienced that it
>    compiles 6.5× times slower than the same version on lenny.
>    Is it my broken etch setup? Is it the older Python? Another
>    reason to build on lenny, if it were possible...

I asked DSA and unfortunately it won't be possible to upgrade www-master
before the release. So either things work out with backports or we have
to figure out some other solution.

Cheers

Luk