Translating manpages

To: Debian i18n list, Debian Documentation list
Cc: Rustam Rakhimov, OpenOffice.org Uzbek team

Hi everyone :)

I've had a query from one of my OpenOffice.org colleagues, representing the Uzbek language team. This team is relatively new to localization, but very enthusiastic. Since they have started with translating OpenOffice.org, and want to go on to manpages, evidently no difficulty can stop them! ;)

I did write a page on manpage translation some while ago [1], but I haven't been able to find the time to follow it up. I have recommended Rustam come to Debian, since Debian is ahead of the field in converting manpages to UTF-8, and in providing them in PO format (thanks to po4a).

I don't think Debian has an Uzbek team yet. Hopefully Rastam's group will be able to expand their activities to our project. :)

Meanwhile, I remember that there was a package of Debian manpages available in PO format. Where do we find that, please? Is there any specific procedure about translating these docs? Are they all in UTF-8?

Thankyou for your help. :)

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team
http://vnoss.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=projects:l10n

[1] http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/guide/project/manpages