Re: Contents-amd64 or packages.gz ?

Hi,

This should heve been sent to debian-user...

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 08:14:49PM -0600, Lukasz Szybalski wrote:
> Hello,
> Could you guys answer this question:

Yes.

> 1. Where can I get a list of every single package that is in amd64
> architecture? (A list of every program that can be installed by
> category if possible main contrib non-free, source for main contrib
> non-free). I initially though that information is in Contents-amd64.gz
> but I'm not sure what that file is for. Is packages.gz the file I'm
> looking for? If yes is there one for source or every binary package
> has a corresponding source package always?
> 2. Is the and ftp somewhere that hold the source of every .deb file?
> Instead of me getting the .deb can I go into some ftp server and get
> the content of what is in .deb?

Please read basic Debian document and lean how Debian works.  I hope my
debian-reference package or it web versio should help.

  http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch03.en.html

Especially:
  http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch03.en.html#debianpackagemanagementinternals

If you want more official documents: see links from
  http://www.debian.org/doc/
  (The Debian Reference there is old.  I will update it once server is
updated to lenny after its release.)

Osamu