Re: Call for translations (debian-refcard)

Quoting W. Martin Borgert (debacle@debian.org):

> - encoding: Please use UTF-8 encoding. Nothing else.

Well, even though I generally encourage this, I have to object
here. You should not enforce UTF-8 encoding on PO files. Tools that
deal with PO files must be able to cope with various encodings. The
gettext tools very well handle various encodings as long as they're
properly announced in the PO file header.

Some teams might still have their own policy and could prefer other
encodings. We should not enforce enything on them.

If a given tool is limiting this, that tool should really be fixed.

On the other hand, I think that nearly all l10n teams now use UTF-8 by
default.