L10n support (almost) (was Re: New manpages CGI interface available (beta test))

On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 02:49:34AM +0200, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> - It does not support looking for translated manpages nor offer to the user
>   the available translations. I believe it could be easily extended to do so
>   (they are available, but just not used). Would be nice to do so based on
>   the browser's Content-Negotiation headers, even.

Well, Content-Negotiation is still not handled, but how cool is this?
http://www.debian.org.es/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=apt&sektion=8&apropos=0&manpath=&locale=es

Isn't this cool?

The "Available translations" will not work for "all sections" searches, like:
http://www.debian.org.es/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=apt&sektion=0&apropos=0&manpath=
you have to provide the specific section for the CGI script to 'find'
the translated manual pages. But when you are navigating through
the manpages references (the 'SEE ALSO') you will have a proper
section and it will work.

You can also directly specify a language and will provide a translated
manpage if it exists. For example, apt(8) in Spanish:
http://www.debian.org.es/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=apt&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=Debian+Sid&format=html&locale=es

The only problem, however, is that man is confused by the environment and
does not parse non-ASCII characters properly when presenting the translated
manpages.

Will leave it for now...

Javier