Re: Request for review: Debian Reference v2

Hi,

I understand these categorization words are confusing and sometimes used
inconsistently in daily conversation.  I think I am folowing traditional
and more official wording as much as possible.

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 08:52:12PM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 08:44:37PM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 18, 2007 at 05:47:32AM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > As has been repeatedly pointed out, Debian reference was getting old.
> > > It needed major rewrite. I finally got the initial draft of Debian
> > > Reference v2 ready.
> > >
> > > Please give me your feed back.
> >
> > In section "Package management" you use 'component' instead of
> > 'section'
>
> ... when you talk about main/contrib/non-free (too much beer)

What is wrong with this?  I only see this way of use of words as shown below.

> See "Social Contract":
>
> Social Contract with the Free Software Community
>
>    1. Debian will remain 100% free
>
>       We provide the guidelines that we use to determine if a work is free in
> the document entitled The Debian Free Software Guidelines. We promise that the
> Debian system and all its components will be free according to these
> guidelines. We will support people who create or use both free and non-free
> works on Debian. We will never make the system require the use of a non-free
> component.

Also in apt_preference(5)

>  the Component: line
>            names the licensing component associated with the packages in the
>            directory tree of the Release file. For example, the line
>            "Component: main" specifies that all the packages in the directory
>            tree are from the main component, which entails that they are
>            licensed under terms listed in the Debian Free Software Guidelines.
>            Specifying this component in the APT preferences file would require
>            the line:
>
>                Pin: release c=main

Also Debian tutorial: 14.3.1 Configuring Apt
   http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-tutorial/ch-dpkg.html#s-dpkg-apt

Also similar description in apt repository howto.
   http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/repository-howto/repository-howto.en.html

While for section, it is used for perl and utils:

Debian Policy define: http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html

> 2.4 Sections
>
> The packages in the categories main, contrib and non-free are grouped further into sections to simplify handling.
>
> The category and section for each package should be specified in the
> package's Section control record (see Section, Section 5.6.5). However,
> the maintainer of the Debian archive may override this selection to
> ensure the consistency of the Debian distribution. The Section field
> should be of the form:
>
>     * section if the package is in the main category,
>     * segment/section if the package is in the contrib or non-free distribution areas.
>
> The Debian archive maintainers provide the authoritative list of
> sections. At present, they are: admin, base, comm, contrib, devel, doc,
> editors, electronics, embedded, games, gnome, graphics, hamradio,
> interpreters, kde, libs, libdevel, mail, math, misc, net, news,
> non-free, oldlibs, otherosfs, perl, python, science, shells, sound, tex,
> text, utils, web, x11.

Osamu

PS:  As for flavour, I know some people call it release.  But that is
confusiong with stable release etc.  I describe alternative for flavour
as suites.