Re: How about using distributed version control system?

Hi,

From: Jens Seidel
Subject: Re: How about using distributed version control system? (was: Re: Please commit 70 revisions of Japanese translation updates of the Etch Release Notes)
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 20:56:42 +0200

> > I wish if we could use some distributed version control system to
> > manage these documentation needing translation works.  Distributed
> > version control systems make sending many patches easily (without
> > using mailing lists).  The key point is that all contributors can do
>
> But it still needs to be accepted/merged into the main repository ...

Yes, but it can be done via some (e.g. your) repository; I can "pull"
changes from Japanese translators' repository and I can "push" them to
your repository, and you can "push" it to the official one.  These
command line operations are easier to use than
mailing-downloading-gunzipping-committing cycles.

> > We can ease translation management by using distributed version
> > control systems like this:
>
> Could you suggest a distributed revision control system? There was last
> week a discussion on debian-www. If you know a good system you should
> extent this thread.

Actually, I'm still a beginner.  I can only use darcs.  However, I
hear git and mercurial are popular and they seems to be useful.  I'd
like to learn them after release notes works (i.e. in the near
future). ;-)

The discussion on debian-www has another issue: the translation
management system for Debian's web site.  Since I don't have a good
translation checking method for distributed system, I cannot suggest a
certain distributed system for webwml (so far).  However, since that
issue is not related to documentation like release notes, we can
switch release notes more easily than webwml.

> PS: Please do not add me to CC:. I read the lists ...

Oops, sorry...  It was due to wrong settings for my MUA... :-(

Thanks,

-nori