Re: Release notes recent (and planned) changes

Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> As many of you have noticed, the Release Notes are being heavily edited, when
> I asked translators to update it was at revision 1.120 and now it is at
> revision 1.155.
>
> First of all, please understand that this is inevitable and that more updates
> will be forthcoming (you just have to grep for TODO and FIXME in the release
> notes to see it coming).  I'm going to stand back for a few days (until this
> Friday) to allow translators to catch up with changes, if possible.
>
> Do not translate sections with prominent FIXMEs or TODOs, as they
> are subject to deep changes (or rewrites). Specifically, the following
> sections should be left untranslated (if you have not started yet with those)
> for the time being:
>
>   * The new section System improvements (tag "improves_in_etch"), as it is
>     still in draft form
>   * The section "Upgrading from a 2.6 kernel", as it will see many changes (I
>     want to test this ugprade myself before getting it documented)
>
> The current status of translations for the Release Notes is:
>
> - updated recently: ca, cs, de, fr, it, ja, pt, ru, sv, vi
> - very out of date: da, es, fi, ko, nl, pt_BR, ro, zh_CN, zh_TW
>
> I would suggest the language teams that are 'very ouf of date' to try to
> catch up now as it will be probably be more difficult as times goes by and
> more and more changes are introduced in the document.
>
> Thanks for your patience,
>
> Javier

> Here's the detailed status:
>
> DEBUG: Release is 1.155
> ca OUT OF DATE (1.121)
> cs OUT OF DATE (1.121)
> da OUT OF DATE (1.65)
> de OUT OF DATE (1.121)
> es OUT OF DATE (1.76)
> fi PO stats: 221 translated messages, 10 fuzzy translations, 175 untranslated
> messages.
>         fi PO translation OUT OF DATE
> fr OUT OF DATE (1.121)
> it OUT OF DATE (1.115)
> ja PO stats: 254 translated messages, 58 fuzzy translations, 94 untranslated
> messages.
>         ja PO translation OUT OF DATE
> ko OUT OF DATE (1.53)
> nl OUT OF DATE (1.75)
> pt PO stats: 320 translated messages, 23 fuzzy translations, 63 untranslated
> messages.
>         pt PO translation OUT OF DATE
> pt_BR OUT OF DATE (1.67)
> ERROR: [ pt_PT ] has no SGML nor PO files
> ro OUT OF DATE (1.55)
> ru PO stats: 323 translated messages, 20 fuzzy translations, 63 untranslated
> messages.
>         ru PO translation OUT OF DATE
> ERROR: [ sk ] could not find document version information in headers
> sv PO stats: 332 translated messages, 19 fuzzy translations, 55 untranslated
> messages.
>         sv PO translation OUT OF DATE
> vi PO stats: 310 translated messages, 33 fuzzy translations, 63 untranslated
> [...]

I have one comment, the example command for file conflicts is a
little bit outdated:

Unpacking replacement <var>&lt;package-foo&gt;</var> ...
dpkg: error processing <var>&lt;package-name-for-foo&gt;</var>
(--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `<var>&lt;some-file-name&gt;</var>',
 which is also in package <var>&lt;package-bar&gt;</var>

While I got this on my system (don't worry, I forced this by
tinkering with the dpkg database):

bounty:/var/lib/dpkg/info# LANG=C dpkg -i
/var/cache/apt/archives/nano_2.0.2-1_amd64.deb
(Reading database ... 167849 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking nano (from .../nano_2.0.2-1_amd64.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/nano_2.0.2-1_amd64.deb (--install):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/share/doc/nano/AUTHORS', which is also in
package vim-common
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
 /var/cache/apt/archives/nano_2.0.2-1_amd64.deb

- --
Regards,
EddyP