Re: [D-community-discuss] current status / plan update

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 08:05:31PM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:

[...]

> I found out (the hard way) that it is more difficult to contribute then
> I thought.

Ease of contributing is crucial in my opinion. The best source of true
novice documentation will probably come from those novices who
encounter a problem and solve it -- they have the first hand knowledge
of how a novice thinks and views problems. It should be beyond simple
for that novice to contribute their experience/solution for other
novices.

> >  * international - multi-language.
>
> Good idea, but first we need to have enough content to translate :)
>
> > Some ideas about how Debian users can contribute:
> >  * polish Stable
> >  * improve documentation
>
> yep
>
> >  * produce video tutorials
> >
> > You can add ideas from previous posts:
> >  * help aimed at newbies - perhaps a list or a forum
>
> Hhhm, I think this is covered pretty well by the debian-user mailing
> list and forum.debian.net. We shouldn't spread the community.
>
> >  * documentation aimed at newbies
>
> This is where I and a few others would like to contribute.

THere is a whole raft of stuff that gets repeated ad nauseum on
deb-user specifically for total novices. I'd like to see some serious
mining of the archives to generate some of this material. The classic
is: I've installed debian and all I have is this text screen with
flashing cursor -- what do I do?;

> >  * a searchable knowledge base in the form of a directory
> >  * a Debian starter pack (Live-CD/install disc(s)) and instructions
> >
> > I think the priority must be to firm up this list of ideas and then
> > see what might be the best vehicle to deliver them. For example:
> >  * D-community as a single, integrated project?
> >  * D-community as an umbrella organisation with different, but
> > linked, subprojects?
> >  * Does it need CVS/SVN?
> >  * Does it need a wiki?
>
> I think a wiki is needed at least for the documentation and knowledge
> base part. This makes contributing much easier. I like the way
> newbiedoc works, where you can contribute even without signing up. This
> makes it much easier to keep the docs up-to-date.

Indeed, I've contributed to newbiedoc.berlios and its easy, but not
reliably available. I'll repeat what I've said before, it should be
really simple to contribute. If a novice finds an error in the docs
and wants to fix it, they shouldn't have to sign up to do it. Sure, it
exposes the project to spamming and other destructive crap, but I
think the trade-off is worth it. If certain topics get really well
documented, then maybe they can be frozen until the next release?

[...]
> > > 0. Use Debian
> > > 1. Signup for debian-community.org, that is, create your own wiki
> > > page, where you track your contributions
> > >

> > I am not sure that individual wiki pages are the best way to do this.
> > You probably need to maintain this information centrally.
>
> I would rather have it automagically. Don't need/want another page to
> maintain.

AOL!

[...]
> I already have 4 email addresses. Maybe only for forwarding purposes.
>
> From my point of view, I would like to help improve/write new
> documentation for Debian, aimed specifically at new (to
> computers/linux/debian) users.

without jumping through hoops. I have too much to do already...