Re: romanian translation for etch release notes

Hi Stan,

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 09:41:34PM +0200, stan ioan-eugen wrote:
> În data de Lu, 12-02-2007 la 08:45 +0100, Jens Seidel a scris:
> >
> > > I want to ask if it is ok to encode release-notes.ro.sgml using utf-8
> > > instead of iso8859-2?
> >
> > No, sorry. Please restrict to iso8859-2.
>
> I would like to use the romanian quotes „”, and they are availible only
> in utf-8, but they are not mandatory, if there is a problem with utf-8
> encoding then i will not use it.

you're right. Someone suggested already a special SGML tag for quotes so
that these can be reformatted later dependent on the language and
recognize inner and outer quotes (" '' "). This is also used for the
website, which uses <q>...</q>. Maybe later ...

> I noticed another problem:
> things like
> 	<ref id="upgrade-to-2.6">.</p>
> translate to something like
> 	‘Actualizarea la un nucleu 2.6’ on page 24.
> „on page 24” is in english. i could translate these as well but I don't
> know where to go (i think it has something to do with sgml DTD or
> templates).

Please edit
/usr/share/texmf-tetex/tex/latex/tools/varioref.sty
and send a patch to the LaTeX maintainers (please CC: me).

As a workaround it would be possible to redefine the \vpageref macro
similar to
\renewcommand{\vpageref}[1]{on page \pageref{#1}}
in the header of the generated tex file (via perl magic in Makefile or
by editing tools/lib/Locale/ro_RO.ISO8859-2/LaTeX in the debiandoc-sgml
package (similar as ja does)).

> I managed to finish the translation (but i think the english version is
> not finished yet). a preview is availible at
> http://alioth.debian.org/~ieugen-guest/

You forgot to publish the SGML file so that I could not test a possible UTF-8
encoding extension.

Jens