To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
From: "Russell L. Harris" <rlharris@oplink.net>
Subject: Re: Debian shutdown

* gunnar <gunnar.sjoo@wp.pl> [070208 02:35]:
>    I've carried out a network-installation of debian-31r4-i386-netinst.iso
>    and my problem is that I cannot shut it down. The only way of shutting it
>    down seems to be to press the Reset-button, choose my Windows-partition in
>    GRUB and carry out the shutdown from Windows. Thank God for my
>    Windows-partition, without it I would have to pull the plug to shut down
>    Debian. Can anybody tell me a better way of shutting down Debian?

Pressing the RESET button is the equivalent of pulling the plug; you
have not helped the situation by booting Window$.  Whenever you press
RESET, you are risking file corruption, whether you are in Debian or
in Window$.  There are numerous ways of safely shutting down a Debian
system:

-> One way to shutdown is to switch to terminal mode, using the
"Ctrl-Alt-F1" key combination, log in as a normal user, become a
superuser (or simply log in as "root"), and use the command "shutdown
-h now".

-> Another way to shutdown from terminal mode is to use the
"Ctrl-Alt-Del" key combination, which restarts the system.  With this
approach, wait until the system shuts down and the restart begins,
then power down the system.  You can power down safely anytime before
GRUB begins to boot the system.

[Note: The first thing I do after installing Debian is to comment out
the "timeout 5" line in "\boot\grub\menu.lst", so that GRUB does not
boot until I press the ENTER key.  If you wish GRUB to boot
automatically but wish to be able, if necessary, to prevent the system
from booting, change the delay from 5 seconds (which is much too
short) to 10 or 15 seconds.]

-> After X starts but before you have logged in, you should find on
the login screen an "actions" menu with a "shutdown" item, which you
can use without logging in and without a password.

-> Once logged into X, you should find "shutdown" in the "desktop"
menu, if you are running the Gnome desktop.  And you can add a
"shutdown" button to the panel.

-> If your machine is in a network and Debian has booted, you can
access the machine by SSH from another machine in the network, log in,
and shut it down.  This works even if the keyboard has locked up.

RLH