Re: Some seriously outdated info in Debian Reference

Hi Frans,

Frans Pop wrote:
While working on the installation guide I happened to take a look at the Debian Reference and noticed that there are some sections that are seriously outdated where it comes to the detailed information in them:
-http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-system.en.html#s-kernel-details
-http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-install.en.html#s-bootfloppy
-http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-install.en.html#s3.1.8
-http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-install.en.html#s3.8
 especially the first 3 subsections (maybe the 4th too)

IMHO it would be better to remove the clearly outdated info than to keep it in for Etch.

I've been trying to update some obsolete information in these files
while translating. The first mentioned problem has been (at least
partly) solved in the CVS by removal of outdated subsections
ch-system.en.html#s-alt-boot (Alternative boot loaders) and
ch-system.en.html#s-custombootdisk (Custom boot floppies).
I haven't yet touched the ch-install file, but try to fix problems
there also.

Also:
-http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-system.en.html#s-uptodate
 aptitude has been the preferred tool since Sarge for upgrading and isn't
 even mentioned.

This is quite a lot harder thing, because one has to create the text and also be aware of current best practices, so i don't promise to do this. :-/

-http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-kernel.en.html
 Chapter is completely focussed on 2.4 kernels and thus very misleading
 with the major changes we've had both in the kernel itself and in
 kernel packaging.
 Alternative is to link to the kernel handbook at:
 http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/

Linking to the kernel handbook seems to me like a good idea. Helps if you can read English. Is it published yet? It isn't listed at http://www.debian.org/doc/#manuals.

Cheers,
Esko Arajärvi