Re: Debian Reference

Osamu Aoki wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 01:07:48PM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
>
>>On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 12:08:35AM +0100, Antony Gelberg wrote:
>>
>>>General:
>>>Don't use the word Debian where it's redundant.
>
> Fine.  But this implementation may require whole rewrite. --> Low priority.
>

>>>Remove historical points, or move to appendix, too confusing.
>
> Fine.  But this implementation may require whole rewrite.
>   For desription which does not apply on sarge       --> high priority
>   For description which is just not use much anymore --> low priority
>

>>>Highlight need to know / don't need to know.
>
> Fine.  But this implementation may require whole rewrite.
>

>>>Some things too wordy, some too concise.  If a word isnt needed, get it out.
>
> Fine.  But this implementation may require whole rewrite.
>

>>>Order should be order of use e.g. fundamentals, install, the boot
>>>process, etc.
>
> This implementation will require whole rewrite.
> Besides, I think we need to redefine scope.
>
>   install thingy              --> release note / install guide
>   random bug work around note --> now we should move to wiki.debian.org
>

>   Pre-requirement:   basic Linux/Unix skill
>   Scope of document: post-installation guide for 2.6 kernel linux system
>   Outline:
>    * Preface
>      - Define terminology and provide pointers to pre-readings
>      -
>    * Debian package system overview
>      - basic idea of debian package
>      - archive design
>         stable/testing/unstable difference
>    * Installation and upgrade of Debian     (short text with pointer)
>      - Limit contents to minimum
>    * Tutorial
>      - basic unix command line shell guide
>      - guide with mc
>    * Package manupilation commands
>      (Do not recommend mixed distribution system)
>      - Basic tools (explain positioning and layered structures)
>        - tasksel
>        - dpkg
>        - dselect           (state this is depracated)
>        - apt-get/apt-cache (state this use needs to be limited)
>        - aptitude          (preferred)
>        - synaptic
>      - Extra tools
>        - apt pinning
>        - apt-get source
>        - apt-get build-deps
>        - auto-apt, ...
>        - fancy dependency tools
>    * Basic system management
>      - Kernel / module / udev configuration
>      - Network configuration
>      -
>    * Backup methods (with CD/DVD)
>    * Emergency recovery methods
>    * Application guide
>     Hmmm... this will be too much.  Let's see what you said first.
>

>>>I know Woody is still supported, but move to appendix?
>

> I would say that keep minimumalist update to current documentation for
> extreme bug fix and start new XML based document with graphs and tables.
>

>>>1.5 move to 2.1.2

> [...]

Would you mind if I investigate creation of a new XML version, that we
can work on in parallel with the existing version?  I will also look at
how the install guide is managed.  I can start to refactor the
Reference, and you / Javi / whomever can filter in changes as and when
ready.  I would of course appreciate your input throughout, as I don't
want to go too far down the wrong road.