Re: Any plans for dhelp?

On Sun, Jul 03, 2005 at 01:44:08AM +0100, Esteban Manchado Velázquez wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>    Is there any plan for dhelp's future development? I got curious because of
> Javier's message (http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/06/msg00462.html),
> but I see nothing in the Alioth project (http://dhelp.alioth.debian.org/). It
> also seems that there's nothing useful in the project page, at
> http://alioth.debian.org/projects/dhelp/ .

IMHO dhelp needs a lot of improvements in order to make it really useful.
For quite some time it has only be bug-fixed but no no new improvements
have been introduced. I suggest you contact the maintainer (Stefan
Hornburg) and suggest help him with cleaning out the +35 bugs it currently
has open (some are over 2 years old) and then find a way to improve it to
make it a real "Debian documentation center".

It's been a while since I reviewed dhelp but I think it should be taken one
step further in order for it to be a real online help system:

- not only parse HTML documentation, provide hyperlinks to PDF or TXT
documentation too

- automatic online generation of manpage / info documentation to HTML:
allow browsing per section or per package

- bug packages so that they provide dhelp files, many do not.

Just my 2 c

Regards

Javier