Re: upgrade release notes - some automation

On Sunday 10 April 2005 07:43, Vincent McIntyre wrote:
> I've hacked out something (attached) that attempts to do the basics
> and collate information that might be useful in a later upgrade report.
> I hope this will give people a bit more confidence they are ready to
> upgrade.

Some comments.

I would prefer "if ! dpkg -l aptitude | grep -q ^ii ; then" to check if
aptitude is installed.

In the steps to perform after the checks there is:
    2. aptitude -f --with-suggests --with-recommends dist-upgrade
There have been discussions [1,2] before that aptitude should _not_ be run
with "--with-suggests", although this has not yet been corrected in the
release notes.
Note that the "--with-suggests" option has been removed in the Sarge
version of aptitude.

Also, it is currently not entirely clear whether the package tools
(aptitude, dpkg) should or should not be upgraded to their Sarge versions
before upgrading the rest of the packages.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-doc/2005/02/msg00065.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2004/11/msg00109.html

Cheers,
FJP