Re: Please check Korean documents (Was: Re: maint-guide update: final confirmation before upload)

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 03:26:25PM +0900, Yooseong Yang wrote:

> > > What do you mean by "translate"? Chapter is translated to "Jang" in Korean like:
> > > "Chapter 1" to "1 Jang". "Jang" is just english pronunciation, as you know.
> > > Some efforts to translate this "chapter" to "jang" is tried in KLDP
> > > (Korea Linux Documentation Project http://kldp.org). I'll check it out.
> > > We also should sleep on "Contents".
> >
> > In Japanese and Chinese, we prefer Chapter 1 in the book to be spelled:
> >  第1章 (Number one chapter) J=(dai ichi shou)
> > than
> >  章1   (chapter 1) J=(shou 1)
> > .
> >

> Same with Chapter in korean.
> 第1章 (JE IL JANG) than 1章 (IL JANG)

Good.

> > Unfortunately, current infrastructure is not good enough to sandwitch
> > number in template text.  So we live with it.  I tyhought korean is the
> > same situation.  In Japanese we keep this part in English: "Chapter 1".
>
> Korean users inevitably use this format "Chapter 1", but we want to
> improve document environment in CJK, right?
>

> > > You don't need to worry about dialects in korean documentation.
> >
> > As long as current unfortunate situation keeps North away, I thought.
> > I thought their spelling system had some minor deviation (I mean they
> > use some older form).
>
> North? you mean North Korea?

Yep.  That is my vague memory.  I may be wrong here. Both political
entities use Soeul region's dialect as the base of written "official"
language with minor difference in some awkward word spelling.

I thought there are good amount of regional dialect in spoken world of
language even within the southern peninsula.

What you meant was there is no need to worry about written language for
dialect, I thought.

Anway, I am moving back to Tokyo.  In my case in Japanse, I write in so
called satndard languge including Debian Reference translation.  No need
to worry.  I thought about making joke version of Reference Translation
in my home dialect. Well...