Re: Blessing DocBook/XML for Debian documentation?

On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 11:44:39AM +0000, W. Borgert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/ddp says "We use DebianDoc SGML for
> our documents", and the policy says the same.  However, more
> and more documents in and for Debian are in fact written using
> DocBook/XML.  My plea is to officially allow DocBook/XML.

I think we discussed this here.  Answer is yes if someone bothered to
make web page generation script (Makefile) for XML.  Also that person
has to tell system admin which package needs to be installed.  Then we
have no issue including XML doc.  I am waiting for this to happen.

> (My personal reasons for preferring DocBook/XML:
> - more mainstream, used by many large projects
Yes.

> - easy to generate *roff manual pages
> - good-looking PDFs using db2latex-xsl
Hmmmm...

> - I can use Emacs nxml-mode
> - WYSIWYG addicts can use the non-free editor XXE
> - supports images, tables, etc.

Yes, yes, ... This is big plus.

Also "nested list structure" has hidden problem.  If we fix its internal
structure problem, current broken SGML source I created will be
unbuildable.  I used this undocumented feature.  If I fix this problem
in debiandoc-sgml, I need to fix source.  I would rather convert source
file to XML at the same time.  Quite time consuming though.

> - relatively good support for many languages
> YMMV, of course)
>
> What do you think?

Go for it as long as this XML transition is well planned soft
transition.  We do not need to swich all the documentation at once.  I
really want to have option to choose SGML and XML.

Osamu