Re: Call for upgrade testing

On Tuesday 24 May 2005 07:22, Vincent.McIntyre@csiro.au wrote:
> > > I have had some problems understanding this process, so I volunteer
> > > to review the text you come up with, if you need reviewers.
> >
> > I'll take you up on that offer :-)
> > Please review:
> > http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/i386/release-notes/ch-informat
> >ion.en.html#s-upgrade-to-2.6
>
> The basic structure seems sound. I've attached an initial patch. Mainly
> I'm adding little bits of background information.

Thanks for the patch. I've applied most of it.
I've also added a section on sound configuration (ALSA preferred over OSS).

I don't think this is correct:
> +   <p>&debian;-packaged kernels (<package/kernel-image/ packages) use
> +   <package/devfs/, the kernel device filesystem, to represent devices.</p>
The kernel packages use basic, static /dev. Not devfs.
Debian installer uses devfs, which results in devices like /dev/discs/disc0
instead of /dev/hda.

> I have not had time to try a kernel upgrade yet to experience all the
> fun things that can happen, I'll post an updated patch then.

Don't spend too much time on it. We don't have much more time for changes.

> I would like to add a bit to the mouse configuration, about what are
> the old device files and their new equivalents, for the common cases
> - usb, ps/2, generic serial. But I'm not sure what the facts are.
> I'll have a go at doing an upgrade and try to come up with something.

I think the pointers we have now will allow users to work out the rest for
themself. If we are too specific, the risk is that what we list works for
some but not for others.

> Question: Is module-init-tools a drop-in replacement for modutils,
> in the sense that it will work seamlessly with 2.4 kernels?
> I assume "yes" but it might be worth saying so explicitly.

No. AFAIK you still need modutils if you want to boot a 2.4 kernel.