Release Notes: What's new [patch] (was Re: Release Notes: Commands in examples [patch])

On Tuesday 17 May 2005 01:42, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> Also, one thing that worries me is the order, why is the installation
> system (although an important part of the system) section first?
> Shouldn't it be ordered as follows:

[...]

> IMHO it should go from the bigger picture to the details, not the other
> way around...

I agree that the order of "What's new in the dristo" and "What's new in
the installer" should be reversed.

> In any case, if nobody is against this patch I will apply it soon. If
> nobody is against the above changes I will reorder the sections and
> write some new content there too..

I have looked over your patch and would suggest instead the text below.
The main change is that I've changed the footnote to normal text as
I think a warning about removed packages is important enough for that.
I've also made some changes in syntax and words used.

Please let me know if this modified text is OK with you and I will
commit both changes.

Cheers,
FJP

<!-- JFS: The statistics below can be obtained by running the 'changes-release.pl'
  script in the source CVS. It will also present detailed information on what
  has changed in the distribution between releases. -->
           than its predecessor &oldreleasename;; the distribution includes
           over 9000 new packages. Most of the software in the distribution
           has been updated: almost 6500 software packages (that is 73% of
           the &oldreleasename; distribution).
           Besides, a significant number of packages has for various reasons
           been removed from the distribution. You will not see any updates
           for these packages and they will be marked as 'obsolete' in package
           management front-ends.</p>