Re: library packaging doc...

Hi,

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 05:00:11PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> I would like to request some input on actual actions that I will
> need to do in order to maintain libpkg-guide as part of
> DDP.

I cannot say whether this document is accepted but no one complained yet
so go on.

> I'm not quite yet sure about the Makefile structure,
> and directory structure.

That's indeed a good question and there were many discussions during the
last years. Let's hope we will be able to find a good solution.

> 1. Directory
> is
> 	ddp/manuals.sgml/libpkg-guide
> okay? The directory is called sgml, but the libpkg-guide source is in
> DocBook-XML format.

We plan to move from SGML to DocBook XML for DDP documents. It is very
likely that this will result in a new file/directory structure. The
change will be performed using a script. Nevertheless I expect a lot of
manual changes for the transition.

The current CVS is especially important for translators who need a
history for synchronisation. After the transition it is much more
difficult to synchronize an old SGML file against a new XML file. Fancy
scripts such as doc-check which is used by a few documents will no
longer work (or better: create too large patches to be useful). This
requires manual intervention so I suggest to move to a new directory
structure for XML documents. It will not make syncs easier but it
doesn't harm and we will have a proper directory structure.
So we will also see what documents are still in SGML and need fixes.

I do not know DocBook but I suggest something like
ddp/manuals.xml or ddp/manuals.docbook, ...

I also strongly suggest to use a unique file and directory structure for
all documents. This includes:

Translations should always reside in an own subdirectory $lang. This is
true for English files as well (no longer no ".en" suffix for these files,
this simplifies Makefiles).
Now the funny question: What's the form of $lang: pt_BR or pt-br, de or
de_DE, ...
Both forms have pro's and con's (see the debian-doc, debian-www
archives, e.g.