Debian Dictionary

Hi!

On the Debian pages, there is a dictionary [1] which is rather empty. While searching, the only translations I found obviously are russian. Everything found in [2] is more than three years old.

A newer attempt was made by Joe Oppegard in this maling list [3].

I did not see the message from Joe, when I began to make another attempt to collect a multilingual dict, which is now is included in the Debian Women Project [4] and in my homepage [5].

The dictionaries are created out of simple text files and can be edited by nearly everyone. Else than with Joe's Dict there is no sgml markup in the source files.
There currently are three sorts of dicts:

- The acronym dict
- Translations from and to English languages
- Monolingual Dictionaries with explanations of words or phrases.
- the dicts are bound together with links from meanings of the acronyms to translations and from translations to glossary entries.

HTML files and files for dictd are created when running makdictutf8.pl. The program can create pages in utf8 only or in the encodings specified in the config files for each language.

To get the alphabetical order, there is a special sorting implemented in the perl program. Therefore three files had to be copied from perl 5.8 package:
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.6.1/Unicode/Collate.pm
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.6.1/Unicode/UCD.pm
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.6.1/Unicode/Collate/keys.txt

I discussed the dict with one of the Debian Developers. And thought, it would be a good idea to include the dict into the debian doc web pages as a project at alioth, maybe.

Main features of the dicts and makedictutf8.pl:
- The dicts may carry languages, not currently supported in the debian home page. - The dicts use a rather simple source file format making it possible to edit them for nearly everyone, even if they do not know about gettext and other things.
- Files for dictd server are created

You may read more at the about.html linked from the dictionary index page. Source files are in the sub directory "source" in [4] and [5]. Submitting entries can be done by mailing to the dict admin or using a form (only available at www.witch.westfalen.de).

A dict server carrying the Debian dicts is available at [6]. Please be aware that dict protocol is utf-8 and you may need a client supporting utf-8.

Please feel free to comment, ask or suggest.

If you want to contribute content (translations or other entries) please contact me directly or use the web form linked from the about page.

Jutta

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/dictionary/
[2] http://cvs.debian.org/ddp/manuals.sgml/dictionary/?cvsroot=debian-doc
[3] http://lists.debian.org/debian-doc/2004/05/msg00092.html